How you properly put together your office space really does say a lot about what you’re looking to do to make sure that you create the perfect space for your employees and customers. It’s always tricky to get it all right, but you need to make sure that you really take a look at these fantastic 10 tips to help you turn that small office of yours into a productive space that will help you make the most out of your space and budget.
- Allow for “calm” spots away from work: More than just a break room, try to put together a space that is going to help you make sure that your employees can get away from the desk for a moment, breathe, and then come back again when they feel the creative energies pulling them into the solution to the problem that drove them to take a break in the first place. This will help morale.
- Keep everything organized: When you don’t have a lot of space to work with, organization becomes that most important thing ever. You need to really make sure that you put the time and effort into investing in proper storage facilities and areas that give you access to all of the best options for organization.
- Get good quality furniture: Neither you or your employees are going to want to sit in cheap chairs and work with faulty, half-functioning equipment. It may push your bottom line, but you need to seriously take a look at the idea of investing in good quality furniture all around, because you all are going to be spending time here. A painful chair could be the straw that breaks the camel’s back in their decision to stay or leave.
- Try a feature wall: You’ve heard about feature walls in traditional decor scheme, so try out the idea of a feature wall in your office, too. Put your brand right up there on the wall and decorate it with other related items. Make it prominent and modern so that your employees and customers see that you are able to stay up to date on all of the most modern fashion trends.
- Choose a bright colour: Bright colours inspire happiness and creative spirit. Try accenting your focus wall, or create a bright space with accent chairs or paintings with colour and pop. This will energize everyone who comes into the place whether they’re aware of what is motivating them or not.
- Bring in some life: You should consider the idea of bringing in something green to the office space. Whether you want to stick to something that requires little care like a cactus, you need to really look at the idea of bringing something alive into the area that people are in. It inspires comfort and fun and helps them focus on something other than the problem. It also serves as a common project that everyone can get involved with and help out with the plant.
- Emphasize windows and floors: Despite what you may have learned, windows and flooring both play a huge role in office design. Windows create a lot of light that will energize the people that are looking to use it to help motivate them. Likewise, the flooring that you choose helps reflect the lighting, absorb the noise and create a clean and modern workspace to enjoy. Remember this and choose carefully!
- Keep privacy as much as you can: You might be tempted to go with an open concept office, but if you remember the idea that we are all private, you’re going to have to remember that this means that something as simple as making or taking a phone call is going to be much harder if everyone can hear you. This means that you are going to have to spend time on the idea of remembering that your employees need to have some sort of privacy, even if it’s just in a few dividers. Everything will help you to make sure that you can keep your loving and profitable employees happy and feeling as though they have their own space.
- Consider adding pets: This is a tricky option, but pets are a great way to boost morale. Either allow for all pets to come into the office, or consider the idea of adopting or fostering a pet from a local shelter or rescue agency. This is a great stress reliever and it can be a lot of fun in terms of adding the right kind of love to the situation. Your employees are sure to love it, and it’ll make the work space and relations between you and employees much stronger and beneficial. Plus, it’s just fun and cute!
- Listen to what your employees want: This is the most important thing to remember. Your employees are going to make or break your business, so if they are coming to you with an issue in your decor scheme, you need to make sure that you pay attention to what their needs are. Fix any issues that they are telling you about and remember that in order to keep your business happy, you need to make sure that you keep your employees happy. They’re the ones that have to live with the problems, after all, so try to fix them all as much as you can.
You’re looking to make sure that your business is a success, so do what you can to make sure that you are starting off on the right foot in terms of your office space in itself. These tips will help you to move in the right direction to make your office a hit for you, your employees, your customers and everyone else who is looking to find an impressive space. Consider the idea of taking a look at all of these as pointers in the right direction, too, even if you’ve already started something else.